The QAL Waste Line Replacement project involved the installation of an 8.8 km above ground pipeline at Queensland Alumina's Gladstone refinery. The project required a low-impact solution to gain access to
- install a new line while operations continued
- operational change and removal of the old line
- piling upgrade to existing structure
The pipeline required access through sensitive marine mud and tidal areas, which posed a significant challenge. The project team needed a solution that would allow them stable and uninterrupted access for plant and vehicle over the soft mud while minimising ground disturbance and prevent any risk of contamination to the ecosystem. The intertidal zones require protection, as they are home to a rich biodiversity of marine and bird life.
DuraBase matting was used as a low-impact solution to provide access to the marine mud areas. The composite mats interlocked to form a stable road with minimal ground disturbance, allowing the project team to access the sensitive areas without causing harm to the ecosystem. The use of a polyliner also helped to separate the temporary roadway from the mud, preventing any risk of contamination. The Star pickets were used to hold the mats in place during tidal fluctuations, ensuring that the roadway remained stable and secure throughout the project.
The use of DuraBase matting provided several benefits to the QAL Waste Line Replacement project, including:
- Environmental Protection: The DuraBase mats minimized ground disturbance and prevented any risk of contamination to the sensitive marine ecosystem. The use of the mats helped to protect the intertidal zones, which are home to a rich biodiversity of marine and bird life.
- Low-Impact Solution: DuraBase matting was a low-impact solution that allowed the project team to gain access to the sensitive areas without causing harm to the ecosystem. The interlocking mats provided a stable roadway with minimal ground disturbance, which was easily removed at the end of the project.
- Efficiency: The use of DuraBase matting helped to streamline the installation of the underground pipeline, reducing the project timeline and cost.
In conclusion, the use of DuraBase matting was a cost-effective and environmentally friendly solution for the QAL Waste Line Replacement project. The mats provided a stable roadway with minimal ground disturbance, allowing the project team to gain access to sensitive marine mud areas without causing any harm to the ecosystem.